In 1930 he was elected a Licentiate of the Royal Institute
of British Architects. Although he trained as an architect he
had always wanted to be a painter, and in 1913 he exhibited
for the first time at the Royal Academy of Arts Summer
Exhibition at the age of 26.
The work accepted was Westminster Abbey – the West Front.
In 1916 another work was accepted – Crickhowell Bridge, Wales
and the following year The Edge of the Coppice was approved.
One commission he must have enjoyed was for Queen
Mary’s Doll’s House. Queen Mary had always been an
enthusiastic collector of antiques, especially miniatures, and
the Doll’s House was intended to be not just a gift, but also
to promote the work of leading British artists, designers
Built on the scale of 1:12 it was completed in time to
appear at the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley in 1924.
After the exhibition closed it was taken to Windsor Castle for
permanent exhibition, where it has remained to this day.
The architect of the house was Sir Edward Lutyens – one
of the three assessors for the design competition in 1924-1926
to select an architect for the new Freemasons’ Hall in Great
Queen Street, London.
More than 1,500 craftsmen and artists were invited by him
to participate in the construction of the house and its furnishings,
including Spackman, who contributed Fir Trees against
a Sunset Sky.
Honours now came to Cyril Spackman, and in 1916 he
was elected a member of the Royal Miniature Society and the
Royal Society of British Artists (RSBA).
Below The Hall Stone Jewel Centrepiece of the Memorial at Freemasons' Hall, London.
Hall Stone Jewel
The Masonic Million Memorial Fund Commemorative
Jewel, issued to individual subscribers. The design was
described at the time as follows:
“The jewel is in the form of a cross, symbolising
Sacrifice, with a perfect square at the four ends, on
the left and right squares being the dates 1914-1918,
the years in which the supreme sacrifice was made.
Between these is a winged figure of Peace presenting
the representation of a Temple with special Masonic
allusion in the Pillars, Porch and Steps. The medal is
suspended by the Square and Compasses, attached to
a ribband, the whole thus symbolising the Craft’s gift
of a Temple in memory of those brethren who gave
all for King and Country, Peace and Victory, Liberty
Web site created by Mark Griffin