ISSUE 18, July 2006
Editorial
Archbishop Fisher: A Godly man and a Brother
Travel: The train takes the strain
Quarterly Communication: Annual Investiture speech by the Grand Master and Speech of the Pro Grand Master and Report of the Board of General Purposes
Supreme Grand Chapter: Speech by the First Grand Principal and Report of the Committee of General Purposes Grand Lodge of New York: Speech by the Pro Grand Master
   Specialist Lodges: Keeping their eyes on the ball
Education: Planning ahead for the Chair and Events and New premises for Masonic research
Royal Opera House: A right Royal occasion
Royal opening: Beamish Museum
Digital records: Saving our past for the future
Library & Museum: The hall in the garden
Queen's Birthday: Masons played a prominent part
International: A Mason and the Foreign Legion
Masonic Charities: Grand Charity and NMSF and RMBI and RMTGB
Letters, Book reviews, Gardening

 Previous Page 
PLEASE USE THE LINKS ABOVE - OR ON THIS LINE - TO MOVE BETWEEN PAGES
 Next Page 







When the foundation stone for the new Masonic Hall in Park Terrace, Sunderland was laid with full Masonic honours in 1869, the Freemasons present on that day could never have envisaged that history would repeat itself some 137 years later, and that their building would be re-erected as a tribute to the design and to the lasting qualities of the Masonic movement.
    After eight years of partnership, research and co-operation between the Provincial Grand Lodge of Durham and Beamish Museum, the re-erected Masonic Hall opened its doors once again, this time not limited to Freemasons, but to provide an insight into Freemasonry for the 350,000 visitors who flock to Beamish every year.
    The official opening of the Hall took place in April with all the splendour of a Masonic procession of 300 Masons in full regalia, led by a marching band down the 1913 cobbled street decked out with flags and lined with Masons, their families and many visitors to the Museum.
    At the rear of the procession followed a carriage drawn by four magnificent horses, driven by the Lord Lieutenant of Durham, Sir Paul Nicholson, which drew murmurs of admiration from the 2,000 assembled Masons and invited guests gathered in the street.


Left
Crowds gather outside the Masonic hall, moved brick-by-brick from Sunderland to the reconstructed 1913 street at Beamish

Right
Tom Coulson, Provincial Museum Chairman talking with HRH the Duke of Kent while Mrs Dorothy Hall, wife of the Provincial Secretary, who presented the Masonic Hall key to the Grand Master, the PGM and his Assistant, Eric Heaviside look on

  

 Previous Page 
PLEASE USE THE LINKS ABOVE - OR ON THIS LINE - TO MOVE BETWEEN PAGES
 Next Page