ISSUE 10, July 2004
Editorial
John Pine: A sociable craftsman
Jumping for Joy: Skydiving for charity
Quarterly Communication: Speeches of: the Grand Master, the Pro Grand Master and, Report of the Board of General Purposes
Supreme Grand Chapter: Address of the First Grand Principal and Report of the Committee of General Purposes
Royal Arch: Cheshire gives a lead
  Walking with the greats: Bath Masonic Hall
Motoring in style: Classic Vehicle Club
Masonic education: A daily advancement and Events for your diary
Travel: Portugal
Library & Museum of Freemasonry
Charities
International: A warm welcome in Malta
Masonic ritual: Spoilt for choice
Public relations: Sheffield; Dorset; Chelsea Flower Show; Freemasons' Hall
Letters, Book reviews, Gardening

 Previous Page 
PLEASE USE THE LINKS ABOVE - OR ON THIS LINE - TO MOVE BETWEEN PAGES
 Next Page 





At an unknown date, Strada San Michelle was cut through the solid rock to join Marsamxett Street. The position of the main entrance can still be seen and is located by a window near to an arched bridge, which is still in existence.
     This archway extended the Piano Nobile to the south along Marsamxett Street, although it has now been incorporated into a separate tenement and is no longer part of the original building.
     The main entrance to Casa Viani was constructed from the servants’ entrance, where a handsome porchway and staircase were built, the latter providing access between the two floors. Little is known about the occupants of Casa Viani until some time in the 18th century, when ownership of the house was taken over by the Treasury.
     This was because a law on property stipulated that four- fifths of a Knight’s property passed into the ownership of the Knights of Malta when he died.
     According to the records of the Order, the house was let to a Commander Fra Alberto Mirelli from 1767–1784 and again from 1784–1798 to Conventual Chaplain Fra Giovanni Domenico Barbaro.
     Later the rent books of the Maltese Government record that the building was the Maltese headquarters of the Eastern Telegraphy Company from 1879–1901, after which it remained vacant for six years.
     In 1907 the property was leased by W. Bro. Macfarlane as a Masonic hall and has been in use as such ever since, apart from a short period during World War Two, when it was badly damaged by enemy action.
     On 16 July 1952, the Masonic Hall Committee signed a deed for 99 years in Emphyteusis, thus securing the Masonic Hall at No. 6&7 Marsamxett Street, Valletta until the middle of the 21st century.
     After the final departure of the Royal Navy in 1979, the number of Lodges using the Masonic Hall for meetings dwindled to just three, namely the Lodge of St. John and St. Paul No.349, The Lodge of Count Roger of Normandy No. 9265, and the St. John and St. Paul Royal Arch Chapter No.349 EC.
     The De Rohan Lodge of Installed Masters No. 9670 was formed in 2000 and in May 2003 the Waller Rodwell Wright KT Lodge was constituted in London. The first meeting of this Lodge in Malta was held on 4 October, 2003 at the Masonic Hall, Valletta.
     Malta, at the crossroads of the Mediterranean, is a popular tourist destination with a diverse range of attractions.
At a recent meeting of the Masonic Hall Committee it was decided to take advantage of this aspect of the Islands, and market them as an alternative venue for Masonic bodies overseas in order to generate extra finances for the Masonic Hall fund.
     This old and unique building is a considerable drain on the resources of the Masonic Hall, especially as most of the members are retired from their previous businesses and professions.

Continued...






Above (top to bottom)
Malta Masonic logo;
Masonic symbolism;
part of the Valetta Masonic Hall